Sunday, August 31, 2014

I miss...

CAMPING!
 
 
I forgot how much I loved camping!
 
Before I could walk until I was about 15 years old... "we" went camping at least twice a year.
Labor Day and Memorial Day!
 
As in "we..." I mean like 30 people! My whole family, aunts and uncles, cousins, neighbors, & friends. Not just any camping though... We went to Brown County to Horseman's Campground. There would be stock trailers {another story in a minute} loaded with horses, campers, trailers, and tents everywhere.
 
As a child of the group... we got kicked out of the trailers and ended up sleeping on an air mattress in the stock trailer. Don't get me wrong... we had a blast... and the parents did give us a fan... on the hottest days of the year!
 
For days... there would be no TV, no cell phones, no internet... just a whole bunch of family time.
  • One of my favorite memories... creek stomping! We would play in the creek for hours!
  •      One of my worst memories... having chicken pox while there... not being able to be out in the sun because it made me itch like crazy! I had to sit in the shade and color all day!
I learned A LOT of things at camp... life lessons we will call them!
Some Good... Some Bad...
 
I forgot how peaceful sitting at the campsite could be!
 
Last night, while visiting Adam, Ashley, the Boys, Dad, and Cherie... all those memories came flooding back. It didn't matter if Ty and the neighbor girl were running around or Coy was making noises trying to get our attention... it was still peaceful... and we weren't too far from home.  
 
We were also in a camping group! This group used to camp 2-3 times a year as well. Some of them still camp and others don't... because LIFE got in the way.
 
As crazy as our lives are... dance, sports, work, 4-H... I want the kids to have memories like I have... from CAMPING!

No comments: